By Caribbean News Now contributor
MIAMI, USA — While the shower activity associated with a tropical wave located about 650 miles east of the Lesser Antilles is limited and disorganized, forecasters say the system still has a low chance (10 percent) of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours and a 20 percent chance of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next five days as it moves westward across the eastern Caribbean Sea.
However, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, upper-level winds are forecast to remain unfavourable for development.
Meanwhile, a broad area of low pressure associated with a tropical wave is gradually approaching the west coast of Africa. Environmental conditions appear conducive for development and this system has the potential to become a tropical depression during the next couple of days as it moves toward the Cape Verde Islands. After that time conditions are expected to become less conducive for development as the disturbance moves toward the west-northwest over the eastern Atlantic.
This system has a medium chance (40 percent) of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours and a high chance (60 percent) of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next five days.