NBC News quoted and said: At least 17 people were killed when a teen opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle at a high school in Parkland, Florida, on Wednesday afternoon, officials said.
Fourteen others were wounded, five of whom suffering life-threatening injuries, hospital officials said.
Authorities said the suspect, identified as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, concealed himself in the crowd fleeing Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. He was arrested in nearby Coral Springs and later charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
Cruz had recently been expelled from Douglas for disciplinary reasons and was enrolled elsewhere in the district, Broward County schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said.
What We Know:
- 17 people were killed and another 14 were wounded.
- Suspect identified as Nikolas Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder
- Cruz, 19, was believed to have used an AR-15 style semiautomatic rifle.
- A YouTube user named “Nikolas Cruz” reportedly posted “I’m going to be a professional school shooter” on the site.
- President Donald Trump has tweeted that there were “many signs the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed.”
For more information: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/america-s-rifle-why-so-many-people-love-ar-15-n831171