BASSETERRE, ST KITTS (SKNLPCU) – Opposition Labour Party candidate for St. Christopher 8, Dr. Terrance Drew is happy that the mainstream media houses in St Kitts and Nevis “is finally waking up” to the realization that the Timothy Harris-led PLP/CCM/PAM government is seeking total control over the flow of information.
He told Freedom 106.5 FM “Issues” programme Wednesday that he was heartened to hear the local journalists on WINNFM’s “Inside the News” expressed their disappointment with the near one-year old government providing Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times with information ahead of the main stream media houses and even its own St Kitts and Nevis Information Service (SKNIS).
“The government wants to keep a tight lid on information, especially information that shows the government in a negative light. What they were saying is that journalists representing the main stream media were being shut out,” said Drew, who referred to an SKNVIBES posting that “had gone after the government.’
“It basically said what we were articulating all along that the government of Timothy Harris is not allowing information to flow,” who pointed out that several months ago he took issue with Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times which launched a political attack on him and even quoted the Minister of Health Eugene Hamilton.
“After a quick response that article was taken down,” said Drew, who said the question arose who owns and finances Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times?
“Who are the journalists and writers of these negative, derogatory, libelous and slanderous articles?,” asked Dr Drew who noted that Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times seem to be out first with government information, even ahead of the official St Kitts and Nevis Information Service (SKNIS).
He pointed to the recent disclosure that the Prime Minister of Canada and his family were holidaying in Nevis.
“That was to be confidential information for the security and safety of the Canadian Prime Minister and his family.
“But Prime Minister Timothy Harris and Foreign Minister Mark Brantley breached diplomatic procedures by disclosing only to Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times that the Canadian Prime Minister was in the country and might even attend PM Harris’ gala,” said Dr Drew. Wallis Wilkin, known to be associated with Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times
“That did not help because (many) people did not attended the gala,” said Dr Drew, who asked: “How did Wallis, Times Caribbean and St Kitts-Nevis Times get this information from? They posted the information days before the main stream media and the government –owned SKNIS posted the info. Who in the government is supplying information before it is given to media houses? asked Dr Drew.
He urged the local journalists to continue to agitate for transparency.
- PRESS RELEASE – COVID 19 : Return of “compelling reasons” for travel to and from French West Indies
- Job Vacancy At Meridian Trust Company Limited- SENIOR FIDUCIARY & LEGAL OFFICER
- NRP calls on Federal Government to aid Nationals in devastated neighboring Islands.
- TDC Shipping Department – Change in Schedule Notice
- C43 – Miss Culture Swimwear
- Human Resource: CAREER OPPORTUNITY.
- Ministry of Social Development: Press Release.
- Sherry’s “RISE” an Afrocentric Fashion Production.
- Libra’s All White Full Moon Birthday Bashment 2016.
- I.R.D: Wheel Tax Notice.
- TRUST & FIDUCIARY SERVICES ADMINISTRATOR: Job Vacancy.
- I.R.D : Registration Renewal…
- T.D.C: Child Month
- The St.Kitts Music Festival Line Up….
- I.R.D: Property Tax..
- Development Bank marks 35th anniversary with renewed commitment
- Sherry’s Beauty World: Special…
- Brown Hill Communications…..Job Vacancy
- Sherry’s Beauty World: Special Runs for the month of April ( MASSAGES ).
- Digicel Play…D.B.H
- THE UWI OPEN CAMPUS, ST.KITTS & NEVIS.
- I.R.D: Consumer Information Notice.
- The Nevis Historical and Conservation Society: Job Vacancy.
- Morning Star Holdings Limited: Job Vacancy.
- Police Charge Man for Possession of Firearm and Possession Of Ammunition
- Historic Water Conference Opens at the UN
- Prime Minister of Saint Kitts and Nevis Attends Regional Security Meeting
- St. Kitts Water Services Department Successfully Puts on Two Open Exhibition Days At La Guerite Water Treatment
- Hope And Joseph Soar in ODI Rankings with Bat and Ball
- Urgent Back to Back WECAFC Meetings on Spawning Aggregations & Queen Conch in the Region
- National Statistical Offices bolstered through Canada-funded project
- Spotlight on ECTEL’s Board of Directors First Female Chairperson
- Caribbean ministers to address fisheries crimes at Blue Justice Conference 2023
- Nevis Disaster Management Minister Brand urges all to participate in tsunami awareness exercise, March 23