Message to Members & Friends on Earth day 2013:
Earth Day is this Monday, April 22, 2013. It is a day to reflect on our planet, our environment and what we can do to help keep them healthy. It is a day to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s environment. It is a day to commit to protect the environment, take action and learn – teach – share.
As part of Earth Day activities this year Solid Waste Management will host litter walks. They will provide garbage bags and gloves needed for the litter walks. All participants will meet in the parking lot of their main office at Ramsbury Site at 5:00pm on Monday, April 22nd (this Monday). We encourage our members and friends to participate in this effort to keep our environs clean and litter free!
The NHCS is also encouraging all members and friends to make every day Earth Day and find something in the following suggestions which you can commit to:
1) Water: Use less, use only what you need, and reuse and recycle when possible. Dispose of solid and liquid wastes and medications safely. Protect our water source from pollutants, excess pesticides and garbage.
2) Air: Plant a tree or plant many trees. Prevent additional air pollution by finding alternatives to burning your waste. Stop smoking.
3) Land: Reduce or eliminate use of pesticides. Learn about composting. Learn about our native species and the negative effects of non-native plants and animals in the environment. Form a team in your community that removes non-native species.
4) Energy: Choose energy saving appliances. Call NEVLEC (our local power provider) and your constituent representative and ask them to encourage the use of solar with equipment and rebates for the general public.
5) Waste: Cut back on the amount of stuff that could later end up as waste. Reuse. Recycle. Do not litter. Properly dispose of trash and waste and electronic gadgets.
6) Advocacy: Volunteer on NHCS Environmental Committee and participate in our environmental events such as Clean Island Sweep and Coastal Clean Up. Share your talents and help to form a Recycling Committee. Help to organize other events such as, a clean-up day in your community and establish an award for it. Hold a recycling competition at your workplace. Raise awareness by talking to others about the environment.
If each person choose one of the above, we are well on our way to saving the Earth! Thanks for doing something!
Evelyn Henville, MA
Nevis Historical & Conservation Society
Alexander Hamilton Museum