By Caribbean News Now contributor
NEW YORK, USA — After being “killed off” by at least two Trinidad media outlets in recent days, Slinger Francisco – ‘The Mighty Sparrow’ — is alive, the consulate general of Trinidad and Tobago in New York confirmed on Thursday.
The consulate general said it was informed of Sparrow’s current condition on Thursday morning by his son, Richard Francisco, who has been taking care of his father since he fell ill.
Earlier this week, Sparrow was reported to be in a comatose condition at a hospital in New York City.
According to his son, the cultural icon “is resting comfortably, and he’s alive and well. The family wishes to thank the public for their prayers”.
The consulate general recognized Sparrow with a lifetime achievement award on August 30, 2013, but he was unable to collect the award in person; his son Richard accepted the award on his behalf.
Consul General Rudrawatee Nan Ramgoolam asked that nationals and other well wishers pray for his recovery and respect the privacy of the family at this time.
“This is an exceedingly difficult time for Sparrow’s family. Let us focus our energies on praying for both him and his family and allow the family to continue to take care of their loved one. Should there be any further developments, Richard Francisco has promised to inform the consulate general in New York and we in turn will issue an official release to reflect same,” she said.