It was a proud moment for Shari Maynard of Gingerland, Nevis when the 2013 graduation ceremony of the VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY took place in Richmond, Virginia.
Shari completed her studies in May 2013 and graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Public Administration with a Minor in Philosophy. Her performance during the tenure of her studies at University was simply remarkable as Shari earned straight As in every class that she took, resulting in her graduating with a perfect 4.0 Grade Point Average (GPA). This outstanding performance resulted in Shari being named as the highest ranking graduating student in the school of 5300 students and the class of 726 graduating students.
Shari collected many other academic honours while she was a student at Virginia State University. Some of the awards were:
1. Recognition as a University Scholar,
2. Recognition as an Honors Society member,
3. Two-time recipient of the Outstanding Public Administration Student award (awarded yearly to the Public Administration student with the highest grade point average in the program).
4. Two-time recipient of the Most Exceptional Philosophy Student award (awarded to the philosophy student with the highest grade point average in the program and who is most engaged in the field of philosophy by virtue of his/her activities relative to the field).
5. Philosophy paper dealing with the relationship between science, capitalism and feminism was accepted for presentation at national conferences at the University of North Carolina, Ashville and also at Georgia Southern University.
With such outstanding results, it is hard to imagine that Shari found time for anything other than her academic pursuits, but she did. She was a Volunteer with the campus church, United Campus Ministries, President of the school’s Philosophy club, an intern with the Nevis Legal Department for two summers and an Intern with the United States Small Business Administration Headquarters Office in Washington, DC
Speaking on her achievement, Shari said, “I was extremely elated when I was given the news that I was selected as the highest ranking student in the Graduating class of 2013 but I was also not surprised because I know that I had worked diligently and consistently throughout my university career to ensure that I excelled in every class that I took”.
She continued, “I would like to give thanks to God for giving me the strength and the ability to achieve this remarkable feat and also to express heartfelt thanks to my parents for their unwavering support while I traveled this sometimes arduous journey. With God, my parents, friends and loved ones, I always knew that I was never alone and this spurred me on to the heights that I have achieved today”.
Shari Maynard is the daughter of Ms. Sandra Maynard of Gingerland, Nevis, a Social Worker and Director of the Social Affairs Department in the Nevis Island Administration and Mr. Donald S Thompson formerly of Bath Village Nevis but who now resides at Bird Rock Extension, Basseterre, St. Kitts.
Shari plans to pursue a career in Law and has already been accepted into two prestigious law schools in the United States of America.
Nevispages.com extends sincere congratulations to Ms. Shari Maynard on her phenomenal achievement.