Basseterre, St. Kitts, February 25, 2016 (SKNIS): The formal meetings of the Cabinet took place on Monday, February 22 and Wednesday, February 24, 2016. The meetings were chaired by the Prime Minister, Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris.
1. Cabinet discussed the success of the just concluded week of activities for the 1st year anniversary of the Government since the election victory of February 16, 2015. Cabinet was satisfied that all events were well supported and received by the general public. Ministers were urged by the Chairman of Cabinet, Prime Minister Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris, to take notes of the concerns raised at the Meet the People/Town Hall meetings and where necessary to take corrective/remedial action.
2. Cabinet confirmed its earlier decision that jobs in St. Kitts and Nevis must go to nationals of St. Kitts and Nevis and legal immigrants. In this regard, officials from the Ministry of National Security and Labour are expected to meet to further coordinate strategic action to provide the assurances of Cabinet with effectiveness of policy.
3. The Cabinet pledged to continue its outreach with constituencies throughout the course of the year.
4. Cabinet considered the reports on the effectiveness in recent initiatives of the Police in the fight against crime. The New High Command of the Police was commended for its diligent performance so far, and also, members of the public for coming forward and sharing information with the Police with regards to crime.
5. Cabinet provided support for a number of businesses through fiscal concessions.
6. Cabinet discussed a number of international conventions such as the Wreck Removal Convention, the World Trade Organization (WTO) trade facility agreement, 2005 Convention on Protection and Promotion of Diversity of Cultural Expressions, and 2003 Convention on Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage.
7. Cabinet considered a paper from the Office of the Attorney General on a review of the legislative framework relating to firearms and violent crimes.
8. Cabinet discussed a policy in relation to NHC (National Housing Corporation) houses.
9. Cabinet agreed to a programme of activities to commemorate International Women’s Day, which will be celebrated on Tuesday, March 8, 2016.
10. Cabinet will again convene on Friday, February 26, 2016.