Basseterre, St. Kitts, February 7, 2018 – Students who receive assistance under the SAFE programme at the Clarence Fitzroy Bryant College (CFBC) are still waiting on the government to reimburse them.
The bursar at the CFBC told students on the programme to pay their registration fees until the government finds the money to place in their CFBC accounts and they will be reimbursed later.
“As a SAFE approved student, SAFE will pay for all your fees. To date SAFE has not yet credited your account at CFBC college. As a result you are expected to pay all your registration fees and you will be reimbursed by SAFE when the funds are credited to your account at CFBC college,” the bursar informed students early January.
“Not a dime yet,” said one student on Wednesday.
CFBC students are reported to be up in arms over this development as a similar promise was made last year and many were not reimbursed.
The Team Unity Government of Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Dr. the Hon. Timothy Harris, abandoned the REACH programme initiated by the St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party administration, when it took office in February 2015 and replaced it with the SAFE (Supporting Advancement of Further Education) programme.
Scores of students who benefited from the REACH programme and denied eligibility to the SAFE programme have complained that the SAFE programme is not meeting the expectations of the CFBC students or their parents and guardians.