Charlestown-Nevis–Ms Rhonda Williams, the lady in charge of the Postal services on Nevis, was beaming with delight on Friday 9th October. Not only was the local Postal Services staff celebrating world Postal day but they were also launching a new service to the people of Nevis.
Ms Williams explained that it is not a secret that many persons hardly use the mailing service being offered by her institution and noted that the Postal services worldwide have to constantly remain innovative in order to compete with other entities which may even offer speedier means of communication.
In light of this, on Friday 9th October, the local Postal services officially launched the Nevis Post Office (secure, prompt, efficient, direct) package and cargo services or NPO SPEEDPAC.
As regards the new service, Ms Williams gave the following guidelines:
- Persons can sign up at the two main Post offices in the federation. Persons must bring two valid picture IDS and complete registration form.
- Registration is currently free until November 9th.
- The rates are affordable: $28.50 EC for the first 3 lbs and $6.00 EC for each additional pound
- Insurance: 2% of the item’s total value or a minimum insurance fee of $5.00 EC. If the package is damaged after reaching the Postal Services warehouse in Miami, the customer may be eligible for some form of compensation. However, if the item arrives damaged at the Miami warehouse, the NPO will not be held liable for the merchandise.
- Package shipments are received twice per week-Tuesdays and Fridays. Cut off time for shipments is 12.00 noon on the day before each shipment (Mondays and Thursdays)
- Invoices are very important to calculate the insurance and customs charges
- Payments are made at the Nevis Post office when the item is picked up. You are not required to make any payment before the item is shipped
- Customers will receive an email notification from the NPO as soon as packages are ready for pick up
- Packages are collected at the Parcel post section at the Post Office
Ms Williams noted that some persons used the opportunity to sign up on Friday which was also a day designated as customer appreciation day. During the course of that day, the Post office officials served customers a nourishing fruit based snack and a bottle of water.
On that same day, the UPU Director General’s message was read on VON radio and on NTV channel 8 and members of the Post office staff also conducted morning devotions on VON radio.
The Postal Services staff will continue the celebration of what has been dubbed ‘Postal Month’ during the month of October, with the following activities:
Wednesday 21st October-Exchange of officers—St.Kitts and Nevis
Tuesday 20th to Thursday 22nd October-Tree planting project at schools
Saturday 24th October-Fun sports day at Pinney’s beach
Wednesday 28th October- -Presentation of certificates to Past Postal workers
Friday 30th October-Naming of officer/Postman/woman of the year
Saturday 31st October-T-20 Cricket tournament at the ET Willet Park
1st to 31st October-display of postal related old and modern items (throughout the month)
Ms Williams used the opportunity to invite the general public to show their support for the Postal services by participating in as many of the activities as possible.