Cover photo: Brian Dyer, Director of the Nevis Disaster Management Department
Charlestown, Nevis – Director of the Nevis Disaster Management Department, Mr. Brian Dyer, has revealed that a COVID-19 Compliance task force, will be effectively launched in Nevis, on Thursday, April 23, 2020.
There was a meeting with the nominated members of the task force, on Tuesday, April 21, 2020, at the headquarters of the Nevis Disaster Management Department (NDMD).
The meeting was chaired by Dr. Judy Nisbett, the chairperson of the Nevis COVID-19 Task Force, who indicated in her opening remarks, that the implementation of the Compliance Unit was prompted by the urgent need for strict implementation of enhanced health and security measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 within the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.
The members of the Compliance team have been chosen from various agencies, which include: Labour Department; Environmental Health Department; Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force; Fire and Rescue Services; Consumer Affairs; Public Infrastructure (transport services) and Customs and Excise.
The purpose of the Compliance Task Force is to ensure that businesses and public transportation (incl. Buses, ferries and taxis,) comply with the health and security measures outlined by the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis (in accordance with SR&O 14 of 2020) and advise the National Health Operations Center (NHOC) and the Nevis Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to ensure the Federation remains a safe and healthy place to live and do business.
Included in the duties of the members of the team are the following:
- Conduct training sessions with employers and employees on the workplace policy guidelines
- Perform initial assessment of the business premises to ensure that the COVID-19 Health Safety Measures are implemented
- Carry out routine inspections at the premises of businesses
- Record complaints reported
- Enforce compliance guidance
- Monitor and evaluate the business on a weekly basis
- Utilize a complete checklist based on the requirements/health safety measures
- Report procedures
- Perform analysis
- Adhere to the Privacy and Data Protection Regulations
- Check to ensure that the buses/transport vehicles and vessels are complying with the health and safety measures