Shubman Gill has admitted to being disappointed at not being selected for India’s tour of the West Indies, saying he expected to be there in at least one of the squads.
India will play three T20Is, three ODIs and two Tests against West Indies, with the first T20I on August 3.
Gill, who is with the India A squad in the Caribbean, finished the one-day series as the top run-getter with 218 runs in four matches, averaging 54.50 with a strike rate of 98.19. He hit three half-centuries and was named the Man of the Series.
Gill had earned a call-up to the India squad for the New Zealand tour earlier this year, and played two ODIs, though he didn’t get into double digits in either game.
“I was waiting for the Indian senior team to be announced on Sunday and I expected to be selected for at least one of the squads,” Gill told CricketNext. “It was disappointing not to get picked but I am not going to spend time thinking over it. I’ll keep scoring runs and performing to the best of my ability to impress the selectors.
“It was a fantastic series for me and team as well since we won with a 4-1 margin,” Gill said. “Personally, I would have liked to carry on and score at least a couple of hundreds in those fifties. But I will learn from this experience. The biggest lesson that I have learned from my first West Indies tour is to try to curb my natural game depending on the match condition.”
But while he didn’t make it to the squad, Gill was discussed at the selection meeting, with chief selector MSK Prasad saying, “He went to New Zealand when KL Rahul was suspended and now Rahul has come back so he (Gill) is in the waiting list. Definitely he will be considered in the future.”